Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Living it. 


So I'm Stevan, Moxxie as some of Ulv Hamre likes to call me. That's a story for another time though. I've had lots of stories over the course of my life, and a good many over the several years I've been calling myself a Heathen. 

How I came to Asatru and Heathenry is a bit of a tale all on it's own, so I'm not really planning to start there. The short version is, I am now and always have been a tech junkie and a science fiction/fantasy/history nerd. That'll likely never change, but it's helped lead me down the path that started me on heathenry.

I also apologize for any grammar or spelling errors in advance. I try to proof read these, but it doesn't always work because over the years I've somewhat forgotten most of what was taught in elementary school grammar courses, and college didn't really help a whole lot in that regard.

That all being said, I suppose a bit of context for this first entry is needed. Over the years I've noticed that one question, be it in person or over Asatru boards/reddits/facebook groups has pretty consistently come up. "How do I tell my" normally you can insert christian here if it's an American board, "family/parents/girlfriend, etc."

Well I can answer part of this, but normally my past girlfriends have never had an issue with it, so for that, you may want to talk to James, Ulv Hamre's Gothi. He is a married man after all.

When it comes to dealing with family, you've got to remember that we're a faith based around community and family. It's hard to be a solitary heathen, I would know, I was one until James messaged me one night and asked if I wanted to meet up with him and Wulf at the coffee shop in downtown charleston.

My folks have always been skeptical about heathenry and it's never helped the issue that I'm really terrible at explaining things in a face to face setting. Also didn't help that for some of the early years I didn't really live up to the virtues of Heathenry. I admit those mistakes and am working to improve on it every day.

You should be honest with your parents and family. At the same time, if you think they'll take poorly, you don't have to be upfront about it. If asked, don't lie and tell them the truth, but you don't have to state it bluntly if your living situation is living with them, which is still a common thing in this day and age due to the economy making it harder for younger folks to live on your own. If asked, answer, if not, practice as you can, live nobly and honorably.

I generally didn't advertise to my folks and family what I was, but I did answer the questions when asked. Family was always a little more difficult, because I come from a distinctly protestant one, especially on Dad's side. Mom's side has a history of Serbian Orthodoxy, Things were always a bit tense when religion came up, but they're still my family and even at the worst I always and continue to love them.

I know this was a little on the short side, but this is the very first time I've ever done a blog for myself, so next time will likely get better. Next time I'll try to touch somewhat on how things have changed between myself and my parents since I actually joined Ulv Hamre and started wearing the cut.

Stevan, Ulv Hamre Scribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment